For leaders of a Lean-Agile change initiative to develop a Lean-Agile Mindset and apply the principles and practices of the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) to support Agile Teams, programs, and Program Portfolio Management. Coordinate and lead a Lean-Agile transformation at enterprise scale.
Thriving in the digital age with Business Agility
with Certified SAFe® Agilist
During this two-day course, attendees gain the knowledge necessary to lead a Lean-Agile enterprise by leveraging the Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®) and its underlying principles derived from Lean, systems thinking, Agile development, product development flow, and DevOps.
Participants in the class gain insights into mastering Business Agility in order to thrive in the competitive market. They discuss how to establish team and technical agility and organize and re-organize around the flow of value. They also learn and practice the skills for supporting and executing PI Planning events and coordinating multiple Agile Release Trains (ARTs). Participants in the class explore the importance of adopting a customer-centric mindset and design thinking approach to agile product delivery. Learners also develop an understanding for implementing a Lean Portfolio Management function in their enterprise.
Attending the class prepares individuals to take the exam and become a certified SAFe® Agilist (SA).
About Leading SAFe
Job role description/target audience
A Certified SAFe® Agilist (SA) is a Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) enterprise leadership professional who is part of a Lean-Agile transformation.
Key areas of competency
- Apply SAFe to scale Lean and Agile development in the enterprise
- Apply Lean-Agile Mindset and principles
- Plan and successfully execute Program Increments
- Execute and release value through Agile Release Trains
- Build an Agile portfolio with Lean-Agile budgeting
Learners taking this course are:
- Program or Project Manager
- Scrum Master
- Team Lead
- Release Train Engineer
- Business Analyst
- Agile Coach
- Portfolio Manager
- Program Manager
- Change Agent
- Solution or Systems Architect
- Lead the transformation to Business Agility with SAFe
- Become a Lean-Agile Leader
- Understand customer needs with Design Thinking
- Enable Agile Product Delivery
- Implement Lean Portfolio Management
What Attendees Get
- Attendee workbook
- Preparation and eligibility to take the SAFe® 5 Agilist exam
- One year membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Course certificate of completion
Attendees must attend both days of the course in order to be eligible for the exam.
All are welcome to attend the course, regardless of experience. However, the following prerequisites are highly recommended:
- 5+ years’ experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product, or project management
- Experience in Scrum
Completion of this course gives you access to the exam and all related study materials as part of your Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform.
Exam & Certification Details
Exam Prerequisite Skills
- 5+ years experience in software development, testing, business analysis, product or project management
- Experience in Scrum
The first step toward becoming a Certified SAFe professional is to attend the Leading SAFe® course. This is a requirement, because attending the course provides access to all the study materials and the exam. Note that attending the course does not guarantee passing the exam.
- Exam name – SAFe® 5 Agilist Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the Leading SAFe® course
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins, candidates have 90 minutes (1.5 hours) to complete the exam
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing score – SA5 = 35 out of 45 (77%)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – First exam attempt is included as part of the course registration fee if the exam is taken within 30 days of course completion. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – Second attempt on exam (first retake) can be done immediately after first attempt. Third attempt requires a 10-day wait. Fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
Exam study materials
The exam is designed to measure knowledge and skill related to the job role. We highly recommend candidates use a variety of resources to prepare for this exam including:
- Course materials – The course materials are an essential artifact from the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. These materials can be used to refer back to the content that was presented during the class.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guide details the job role and all resources related to the exam, including a detailed reading list. Access is available through the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform upon course completion.
- Practice test – The practice test is designed to be predictive of success on the certification exam,* and it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty, and time duration. It is part of the Learning Plan in the SAFe Community Platform and can be taken an unlimited number of times at no cost. *This is not the actual exam, and passing it does not guarantee success on the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – A web-enabled, flashcard style version of the sample questions can be found online and in the study guide.
What you get
Becoming a Certified SAFe® Agilist requires an exceptional range of skills and is a career path for many servant leaders. Certification includes:
- Certified SAFe® Agilist PDF certificate
- Certified SAFe® Agilist digital badge to promote your accomplishment online
- One-year membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SA Community of Practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe certified professionals
- A variety of learning resources to support you during your SAFe journey